Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Home Sweet Home

What can I say about my second contract? Hmm ... well, it was definitely a contract of firsts and I learned more about myself in the last six months than I thought possible. My first five months were spent on board the Liberty where I met people who turned into family instead of just best friends. I've now been to places that I only dreamed about going and saw in travel magazines. We went to Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Nassau and one stop at Half Moon Cay - some of the most beautiful places I have seen. Towards the end of my contract, I was asked if I wanted to transfer over to the Triumph and finish out my contract there. This ship was going to a 33 day speciality cruise and they needed some help. It was a difficult decision to make because it was only going to be for three weeks and I wasn't ready to leave and say farewell to some of the people on the Liberty. However, I agreed and I am glad I did. Even though it was for a short time, I was able to experience some new ports like Grenada and Dominica (where they filmed Pirates of The Caribbean 2 and 3) and met some wonderful people. This was also my first Christmas and holiday season away from home. It was difficult but everyone was in the same position being away from their families so we all helped each other out. We had a wonderful Christmas and New Years! New Years on a ship is a NYE like no other!! If you ever have the chance to celebrate on a ship, I highly recommend it!

If you have ever worked on a ship or in a similar position, you know some of the downfalls of the job. The one that bothers me the most, is having to say farewell to these amazing people when it's time to go home. I am lucky enough to still be in contact with the majority of them and I will be seeing some of them during my actual vacation. I decided to head back to the Liberty for a two week vacation to visit some friends and, well, let's be honest, a certain someone. A lot of people were confused as to why I would go back to a ship for a vacation. Well, why not? I leave Saturday and I cannot wait for some fun, sun and relaxation. 

I head back out for my third contract April 11th and I will be heading to New Orleans!! I'm so excited as I have always wanted to go to NOLA but I have never had the chance. When the ship was on my list, I jumped at the chance. My next contract will be a little bit different than the last one. This one I had a lot of fun and did things I never thought I would do. Next one, I need to save save save! Easier said than done, especially for me. Hopefully, next time it won't be so hard to adjust to being at home. I have no idea why it's been so difficult. I mean, it could be the time change, but it's definitely starting to take it's toll on me. 


Here are some of my favorite photos from this contract ... 

Bonaire


Curacao (My second favorite port)


San Juan, PR -- We hiked the rainforest and this is a view from the watchtower


Airport Beach in St. Maarten -- the airport is across the street and it's apparently one of the most dangerous beaches in the world because the planes land so close to the beach


Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos



Ice Bar in St. Thomas


Christmas time in St. Maarten


Costa Maya, Mexico


Another view from the San Juan rainforest


Aruba - my favorite port


Cozumel, Mexico


My ship in St. Thomas


I am very blessed to have this job and it will always be something I look back on and remember. Not everyone has the chance to do this, which is why I am very thankful for the opportunity and will keep doing it until I can't do it anymore. 




No comments:

Post a Comment